GERMAN STUDIES ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONFERENCE
The German Studies Association (GSA) will hold its 44th Annual Conference from 1 to 4 October 2020 at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington, DC.
The Program Committee cordially invites proposals on any aspect of German, Austrian, or Swiss studies, including (but not limited to) history, Germanistik, film, art history, political science, anthropology, musicology, religious studies, sociology, and cultural studies.
Proposals for entire sessions, for interdisciplinary presentations, and for series of panels are strongly encouraged (though we discourage thematic series of more than four panels). Individual paper proposals are also welcome. The portal for submissions can be accessed here.
- If you did not yet manually reset your User ID or password, they are both the email address associated with your GSA account. Please update your password for security.
- If you are having log-in problems, try again later (the system just might be overloaded); if that doesn't work, contact our partners at Johns Hopkins UP for help.
- Some informational videos for how to upload proposals can be found here: GSA Informational Videos
The call for seminar proposals has been distributed separately and has passed; you may find more information about about applying to seminars here.
Please see the GSA website for information about the submission process for ‘traditional’ papers, sessions, and roundtables, which will open on 6 January 2020. The deadline for proposals is Saturday 15 February 2020, 11:59pm EST.
Please note that all proposed presenters must be members of the German Studies Association. Information on membership is available on the GSA website (www.thegsa.org).
In order to avoid complications later, the Program Committee would like to reiterate two extremely important guidelines here (the full list of guidelines is available on the GSA website):
- No individual at the GSA conference may give more than one paper or appear on the program in more than two separate roles. (Participating in a seminar counts as delivering a paper.)
- If a paper proposal requires high quality sound equipment, that justification must be made in detail at the time of submission.
For more information, visit the GSA website, where previous conference programs can be found, and a detailed list of submission guidelines at
or contact members of the 2020 Program Committee:
Please contact the Operations Director, Dr. Benita Blessing, for general conference questions, including requests for disability accommodations (firstname.lastname@example.org).