Forty-Fourth Annual Conference, October 1-4, 2020 in Washington, D.C. (Crystal City)
The German Studies Association's annual conference brings together over a thousand scholars to engage with research, teaching and public scholarship on German-speaking lands’ diverse histories, cultures, languages, and politics in global contexts. We invite established and more junior colleagues, including graduate students, to join us for the Forty-Fourth Annual Conference October 1-4 in Crystal City, VA, on the Blue and Yellow Metro lines and minutes away from the Reagan National Airport.
Check back for updates!
- Call for Seminar Proposals (deadline passed)
- Program Committee 2020
- Submission Guidelines
- Panel and paper submissions, GSA 2020 (Submissions portal open 5 January 2020)
Seminar applications, GSA 2020
GSA Travel Grants
- All presenters need to email advance copies of their completed papers to the commentator, and a brief paragraph on their research to the moderator, by the first week of September.
- In two-hour panels, presenters are expected to limit their presentations to twenty minutes. Should four presenters be scheduled for a 105-minute panel, the time limit is fifteen minutes.
- Commentators should speak for no more than ten minutes. Please note that any commentator who does not receive a completed paper by the deadline is under no obligation to offer a response on that paper at the conference.
- Moderators are urged to let speakers know when they have only a minute or two left and then to intervene if they exceed their allotted time.
- Withdrawals: If for any reason you become unable to participate as planned, please contact Benita Blessing at email@example.com as soon as possible. We ask also that you inform your fellow session participants. Participants who withdraw after June 1st, 2020 for reasons other than family or medical emergency, will be excluded from conference participation for the next two years. Should a last-minute emergency prevent your attendance, please inform Benita Blessing as soon as possible after the conference. For more information, please see our Submission Guidelines.
- Presenters may not participate via video conference (Skype, Zoom, etc.), nor may they have their contributions read in absentia.
- Refunds: You may cancel your 2020 conference registration before June 1st, 2020 for a full refund. Cancellations between June 1st and September 21st will be refunded, but will incur a 50% cancellation fee. No refunds are available for cancellations after September 21st, 2020. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accommodation requests related to a disability should be directed to Benita Blessing (email@example.com).
Important for Foreign Participants: The Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 has imposed additional restrictions for nationals of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries. Any national of a VWP country who is also a national of Iraq, Iran, Sudan, or Syria, or who has traveled to any of these four countries since March 2011, is no longer eligible to travel under the VWP and must obtain a regular US visa. As of January 21st, 2016, the Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTAs) of travelers who hold dual nationality with one of the above four countries will be revoked. Exceptions can be made in certain circumstances; please see the US State Department's website for more information.